The lead teacher is responsible for and oversees the supervision, safety and education of the students. The lead must plan, organize and follow a curriculum based upon the foundations of early childhood development, emphasizing language, motor skills and relationship building.
Skills and Competencies
- Develop and implement a curriculum with appropriate activities for individual children’s cognitive, physical, social and emotional development.
- Supervise assistants while developing team goal-setting, feedback, and participation in an evaluation process annually. Delegate responsibilities appropriate to individual experience and classroom needs.
- Consult with the director and/or assistant director when needed.
- Oversee the planning and implementing of weekly activities and classroom routines.
- Develop and maintain positive and professional relationships with families, identifying differences in parenting and life styles.
- Develop a positive relationship with each child and promotes the development of self-esteem and self-discipline.
- Communicate effectively and appropriately as needed with parents to promote an understanding of each child’s day, growth and development.
- Attend all program parent/child functions such as art shows and recognition events.
- Maintain records for children and participate in parent conferences.
- Supervise all activities to ensure the safety of each child at all times.
- Maintain a neat and organized classroom and assist in the maintenance of equipment and materials as needed.
- Maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Supervise nap time by helping children rest if necessary.
- Assist in maintaining all relevant state Child Care Licensing requirements.
- Maintain prompt hours.
- Engage in regular professional development activities.
- Bachelor’s degree
- A current Vermont Agency of Education teaching license with an endorsement in Early Childhood, Early Childhood Special Education or Elementary Education.
- Must qualify as a Teacher or Teacher Associate per the Child Care Licensing regulations for the state of Vermont.