Family child care educators work with young children in a home setting. They may have a program that serves only one child or as many as twelve. The number of children a home program serves depends on the type of child care program license they apply for and are granted by the Child Development Division. The family child care educator is responsible for all aspects of running a small early childhood program. These responsibilities include the supervision, safety and education of the children attending the program.
Skills and Competencies
- Ability to build strong, effective relationships, with families, children and staff and communicate effectively, both written and orally.
- Ability to maintain regulatory compliance.
- Develop and implement a program that provides high quality early education and care to children and families.
- Demonstrate effective problem-solving skills with the ability to act quickly, safely and efficiently.
- Demonstrate professionalism and confidentiality at all times.
- Demonstrate patience, compassion, and empathy to children, families and staff.
- Develop and follow an individual professional development plan.
- Engage in professional development throughout the year. (18 hours or more)
- Have successful financial management experience including the ability to develop and manage a budget.
- Have knowledge and ability to connect families to additional educational or human service agencies as needed.
- Develop and lead the implementation of developmentally early education curriculum
- A High School Diploma and completion of at least 45 hours of approved training in early childhood education per the Childcare Licensing regulations for the state of Vermont.
Ideal candidates will have at least one (1) of the following qualifications:
- Associates Degree with a major or concentration in Early Childhood, Child or Human Development.
- Bachelor Degree with a major or concentration in Early Childhood, Child or Human Development, Elementary or Special Education with a birth to age eight focus or Child and Family Services